Wednesday 6 October 2010

ALBANIAN SOCKS.

A new project this year was a pair of Albanian socks, I do like sock knitting so when I saw these fabulous socks I wanted to see if I could re-create them, I asked if I could borrow the pair to make a pattern and knit some, the design goes back at least 300  years unchanged, every family has several pairs, the main pattern is lace and can be any length you wish, ankle, mid calf or knee length, they are shaped at the back and the style is timeless.
How did they create these heirlooms, where did they find the tools? did they make them from materials around them. spinning has been around since before medieval times but the lace design is so up to date it could have been made yesterday.   1 metre cords are added at the top of each sock to wind around the legs to keep them from slipping.



No comments:

Post a Comment